Thomas DesJardin | CG Generalist/Lighting Look Dev | BCM/Animation ’09

What do you like most about what you’re doing?
The pay, and the people.

What are some projects/jobs that you’ve worked on since graduating?

Wreck-It Ralph, Book of Life, Arrow, The 100, Series of Unfortunate Events, countless small projects. Most recently The Emoji Movie.

What classes and learning experiences at CMI were the most valuable in building towards your current job?

Actually there weren’t any classes specifically for lighting and compositing when I attended. But I became a CG generalist which has helped me procure various roles. Any of the 3D classes have been equally helpful in my career.

What are you doing when you aren’t working?
I used to do a lot of independent animation and CG artwork but I’m burned out from the last show. Now I’m on vacation. I enjoy the amazing area of BC and the priceless summer sunshine.

What’s some advice you would give a CMI student (or maybe potential CMI student) about their time at CMI?

Enjoy what stage you are at in your career and in your life. Don’t look ahead too much there will be a time for that. Be humble, and think of focusing on a single area of film or animation. Specializing early on will give you an advantage over the very large amount of competition.

Where can people see your work?

thomasdesjardins.com

Texture / Shading Reel – 2017 from Thomas DesJardins on Vimeo.

What’s next for you?
Got a lighting role on Hotel Transylvania 3. After that I might try a different studio. Work is work though so you take what you can get some times.

Anything else you’d like to say?
Spend time learning skills that you enjoy. Once you get a job doing it all day long you need that passion to keep you sane. Don’t be afraid to experiment and create new tools, workflows, art styles etc. There is a ton of room in this industry for improvisation and growth.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.