Neil Solberg | Freelance Best Boy Electric | DFM ’11

Neil Solberg is a freelance Best Boy Electric currently residing in Albuquerque, NM.

When did you graduate from CMI?

2011

What was your area of emphasis at CMI?

LiveAction Filmmaking – DFM

Where are you and what are you doing now?

Albuquerque, NM. I work full time on movies and TV shows up here in the electric department as a Best Boy electric and, more and more frequently, as a full time Gaffer on bigger movies.

What do you like most about what you’re doing?

Being a Best Boy has taught me a lot about the ins and outs of dealing with the politics and logistics side of lighting. Working as a Gaffer has been truest fulfilling as a way to make a living while also getting to explore my passion for lighting.

What are some projects/jobs that you’ve worked on since graduating?

Hell or High Water. The Magnificent Seven. Perpetual Grace, LTD. Only the Brave.

What classes and learning experiences at CMI were the most valuable in building towards your current job?

Every Cinematography class that I took was a chance to get my hands on gear, learn to get better, and make mistakes. I took every single shoot that was offered to me and used every set as a chance to learn something new and make mistakes in a lower risk environment.

What are you doing when you aren’t working?

Photography, drumming, catching up on laundry.

What’s some advice you would give a CMI student (or maybe potential CMI student) about their time at CMI?

Find your true passion. This is a chance to learn the basics of a lot of different aspects of filmmaking and deciding which part of it really speaks to you. Make as many mistakes as possible now; that’ll get those mistakes out of the way so you make new and interesting mistakes later.

Where can people see your work?

Check out my IMDB for my credits. A lot of the films and TV I have worked on are on Netflix, Hulu, HBO, ETC. Follow me on Instagram if you want see pictures I take of clouds, sunsets, and film sets.

Link to your website:

Link

What’s next for you?

I’m starting a movie for HBO as Gaffer next month.

This entry was posted in News. Bookmark the permalink. Follow any comments here with the RSS feed for this post. Both comments and trackbacks are currently closed.