A program that teaches film-making and digital arts must have a high quality facility for screening. The Digital Media Theater seats over 100 viewers and is THX 5.1 certified. THX Certified Cinemas offer movie-goers the ultimate cinematic experience. Every THX Certified Cinema is designed and tested to ensure that it meets all standards for sound and picture excellence. The CMI Cinema will be used as a teaching facility, sound mixing facility, will be home to CMI’s Film Series, and will be used to premiere projects produced by CMI students and faculty. If you would like to reserve the theater for an event, please read the film policy.
Theater Procedures & Reservation:
- Check the Digital Media Theater calendar for availability and submit the forms (Step 2 & 4).
- Submit a form to NMSU Campus Activity. – Read Activity Registration Form Regulation
- Contact Swank Motion Picture, Inc. or Criterion Pictures USA to get the rights (License) to screen a movie.
- Fill-out the CMI Theater Request Form .
Features of the CMI Theater:
- 5.1 Surround THX-Certified theater.
- Sony SXRD-R105 4K Capable Projection
- Sanyo HD Projector .
- Blu-Ray capabilities.
- Mixing stage using a ProTools HD system & D-Command module.
- Mac Mini with internet connection
- Connections for PC/Mac laptops
- All Participants (Space Only) : $150 per hour, in 1-hour increments. Example: a 1.5 hour event/movie is charged 2 hours, or $300.00. (Space Usage Fee includes installed room lighting, heating and cooling, unlocking and locking of doors).
- Use of the projection and sound equipment installed within the theatre requires a CMI Technology staff person at a rate of $15.00 per hour in 1-hour increments.
- Applicant is responsible for cleaning the theater after the event. Failure to cleanup as required, shall result in an additional $25.00 charge.
Usage Fee is determined by the duration of the event and must be paid before the scheduled date of the event. A registration form must be signed by NMSU Campus Activities. If you have any questions about the theater, do not hesitate to email: Barbara Franco, firstname.lastname@example.org
To Obtain Public Performance License
Obtaining a public performance license is relatively easy and usually requires no more than a phone call. Fees are determined by such factors as the number of times a particular movie is going to be shown, how large the audience will be and so forth. While fees vary, they are generally inexpensive for smaller performances. Most licensing fees are based on a particular performance or set of performances for specified films The major firms that handle these licenses include:
- Swank Motion Pictures, Inc. – (800) 876-5577
Understanding Copyright – Copyright Brochure (PDF)
- Motion Picture Licensing Corporation (MPLC) – (800) 462-8855